Thursday, January 29, 2009

Day - 3 Car Delirium



finally. a road hut.
Woke up this morning at 6:00 a.m., which really wasn't all that difficult because we passed out so early. Madlibs really takes it out of you. The weather was complete bullshit, but we pressed on through the spotty snow/ice/shitmist and made it to a calm, overcast Southern Colorado. The rest area in New Mexico was the best place I've ever been EVER. At least the best toilets/view combination. The temperature had risen 22 degrees in about a half an hour, and my body and soul had a party in the parking lot. The yellow landscape was gorgeous and I wanted to own it and eat it and live in it. Maybe with some dune buggies it will be possible in the near future. Dune buggies and guns.

extreme close up
I talk a lot in the car. Upon editing this video, my first thoughts were "I put too much of me talking in, and not enough of Beth." Then it dawned on me that this is the painful truth of the 14 Hour Car Party. I talk. Beth tolerates. Maybe not that black & white, but close. Road crazy settled in around New Mexico and never left. So that's really what this day was about. Singing Rent, wearing sunglasses, and talking about my knife.

people in arizona clearly can't drive on snow
We got to Flagstaff long after a mind-exploding sunset in Arizona. My immediate thoughts: What the hell is going on around here? We had to stop because the roads were covered in glare ice, and the snowfall was thick and menacing. In Arizona. Clearly, I was misinformed about the climate of this mysterious state. The real threat wasn't from the weather, however, but from the other tuckbacks on the road that refuse to acknowledge the physical properties of ice. "I'm going 55 by god! I've got a fucking JEEEEEP!" Cry me a river you fat loser. We roadswiped by a man who slid out into the intersection through a red light after passing us like we weren't moving. He then had to back up in a mild panic and realign his car parallel to ours. Eat it. I did not leave the heartland for this. After cursing whatever gods were responsible for the sky piss, we shacked up in a hotel with "FREE BREAKFAST!" (which actually turned out to be the best breakfast I've had since I left Iowa). Two bottles of wine later it was bedtime. Free HBO. Give a shit. Tomorrow I go to see the trail left behind in the wake of Paul Bunyan's axe. Get some.

-ap

1 comment: